85 F250 - 2wd kinpin replacement?

Vehicle: 1985 F250 w/460 2WD - 106K miles Symptoms:

The truck does not want to track straight. I'm always having to correct one way or the other, with somewhat of a "delayed" action on steering input. This is similar to what I once experienced when I put

3/4 ton of manure/compost in a 1/2 ton truck, always chasing the steering. What I have now is not nearly as pronounced as when I grossly overloaded the old F100, but much the same action. My main use of this truck is to tow my 5,500 lb travel trailer, the bad handling is even more pronounced while towing and has made for some exciting times.

I've raised the front end and get about 1/4" vertical play in each wheel when prying from underneath. To my knowledge this is a symptom of worn ball joints. Correct? According to mechanics I've contacted, and my (POS) Haynes manual, the 85 F250 has "kingpins" and not "ball joints".

I got a quote of about $550 to replace both sides, half of which is the parts, half labor.

Has anyone done this themselves before? Is this within the realm of an accomplished home mechanic? I've always done my own maintenance/repairs if some special tool or machine is not needed. The procedure, as outlined in the Haynes manual, does not mention any pullers or presses needed.

David Jones djonesLSidaho.com

Reply to
IdaSpode