86 F250 glow plugs need replacing...again and again

I have replaced the glow plugs on my F250 2 times since january and it needs it again...what causes this?

Thanks,

Bird

Reply to
Strangebird

are they shutting off when they should ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Use Bosch glow plugs don,t use anything else.

Reply to
JSMMV

Reply to
Strangebird

My experience with an 84 F250 (same engine) was that if you, one time, crank the starter while the "Wait to start" light is still on, you'll burn them. It sometimes happens if you're not used to that pause before cranking when going from gas to diesel.

JH

Reply to
J Harris

You need to replace the glow plug controller. It's keeping voltage to the glow plugs too long.

Reply to
jt

Exactly. The glow plugs are designed to heat up very fast. The controller is supposed to turn them off and not let them burn up.

Al

Reply to
Big Al