87 F150 transmission question

My 87 F150 automatic transmission tends to make a "hard" transition from gear to gear. Not always but often it slams hard into the next gear. Also when I hit the brakes at moderate speed it will slam hard on the down shift too. Is it a bad torque converter or what?

Reply to
TDCARLSON

which transmission ?

AOD ? C-6 ?

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

thottle rod or cable jammed in the 'max throttle' position ?

or perhaps it came unhooked and the 'failsafe spring' inside the unit actually worked for a change

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Your TV cable is too tight. It tells your transmission when to shift and how hard. It's adjustble, but if you get it too loose a few months of mushy shifts and slipping could wear out your transmission.

Reply to
Joe

I just picked up an 87 F150 w/4.9L engine and Auto transmission last night.

I shifts exactly opposite of TDs. Can't even feel it shift hardly.

What transmission would be in my truck (with the inline-6) ??

ERIC

89 5.0 LX Vert, Cobra long block, 2.5" O/R H-pipe, 2.73s w/Locker 40 Series Deltas and some kinda Wild Assed Cam!

--->> FOR SALE

Reply to
Katmandu

there's a test port on the passenger's side near the back (actually, there's three of them, two closer together about 3 inches forward of the corner and one almost at the corner, you want the middle one)

that one is the 'throttle pressure' test port

you install a gauge, pull the throttle cable out (or block the lever) by

5/16 of an inch, and adjust for 33-35 pounds of pressure at the port, engine at idle, in OD

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

What kinda gauge ??

ERIC

--->> FOR SALE > shifts and slipping could wear out your transmission.

Reply to
Katmandu

I use a 0-100 psi hydraulic pressure gauge (since I'm measuring oil pressure)

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer