88 F-150 gas gauges

I have a 88 F-150 with dual tanks, 4.9 EFI. The problem is the rear tank will show that it is full when it is, but once it gets to about half a tank, the needle will dance from full to empty. When it gets to about 1/4 of a tank, it falls to empty and stays there. Wasn't all that big of a problem, but then the front tank started doing the same thing. So now, once below 1/2 a tank of gas, I never really know how much I have. I have in fact run out of gas on occasions, but have gotten smart and carry a gas can with a couple gallons in it in the bed of the truck.

Any ideas??

Reply to
David Coleman

Sounds like the sending units are going out. Fairly common on Fords of that vintage. I had to replace the rear tank unit on my '86 F150/351W recently. New sending units are available online, as well as shops that will rebuild your unit(s). Run a search on Fuel Sending Units and some sources will show up.

AmmonMan

Reply to
Ammonman

Here's an idea. Replace the sending units. About $15 ea. You can also buy them at NAPA, Carquest and of course Ford.

Steve Barker

Use the trip odometer as a replacement fuel supply measuring device. I've had two fords, so far, where the fuel gauge didn't work and I just used the trip odometer: fill tank full every time and reset odometer; refill around 200-230 miles.

I also used an old Pontiac one winter that didn't have a trip odometer and 1/4 on the gauge meant "empty". A station wagon with worse gas mileage than my pickup!

As for fixing the problem ... I guess replacing the sending units sounds like a good idea, if you think the labor is worth it. I never tried to fix it on any of the vehicles I drove since the trip odometer was good enough for me.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

I do that. But after a couple of bad experiences, I now carry a gas can with about 2 gallons of gas in it...Get tired of walking, or having to call someone and wait...lol

Reply to
David Coleman

$15 ?!?

Not bloody likely.

More like $75-$100 depending on year and tank.

Gus

Reply to
Gus

No, you can get the whole fuel pump and sender assembly for that kind of money. I don't know what the sender costs, but it's not much. But then, if the posters really look to us for prices rather than to a store, it's not bloody likely they actually plan to buy or fix anything anyway.

Reply to
Joe