88 ford ranger coolant/heater system

Could someone help me to understand how the heater system works on this model truck? I put a new heater core in along with a new thermostat. Engine doesn't seem to get up to a good operating temperature as well as little to mediocre heat. Of the two hoses that come from the heater core one has what looks to be some type of tee fitting with the other tube going somewhere to the intake manifold. Is there a heater control valve on this vehicle? Does it matter which hose is connected to the heater core inlet/outlet? Time to go drink some hot chocolate.

Reply to
Ronnie

I had the same problem with my '89 5.0. The problem was rusted out water pump. The fins on the internal were rusted off. I had flushed the engine several times and I still had rust, so I finally pulled the water pump and discovered I had no pump. Just an idea.

Reply to
Roger

Forgot to mention it is a 2.0 4 cylinder.

Reply to
Ronnie