88 Ford Ranger Fuel Tank

I still haven't found a fuel tank for my '88 Ranger. I've been to every part house, savage yard, dealership and no luck. It's a 4x4 short bed,

108 inch wheel base, 4 cyl. Anyone have any ideas?
Reply to
ADAK96

Yeah, do a web search...easy

Reply to
Advocate

The Bronco II is based on the short bed right? Maybe this will fit:

Jim Tiberio

Nope, different tank.

Reply to
JimV

Call these guys. I'd almost bet a c note 'ol Jim or Kenny will be able to fix you up with a new one.

steve barker

Reply to
Steve Barker

Is the one you have unfixable?

Reply to
djdave

Sorry, forgot to mention:

1) The Fuel Tank in not repairable. It has a couple of holes and rusted thru on top. I had a repair shop (that works on fuel tanks) tell me that the holes and rust could be fixed, however it's rusted around the seam and when they sandblast it, they figure they break the seam thru. Best bet, was to get another tank or built a new one from scratch.
Reply to
ADAK96

Reply to
djdave

Thanks for the info, but they don't stock it any longer. So, I'II keep looking. John

Reply to
ADAK96

Stock?

No, tell them you want to special order it. If they cant get if for you (lazy) give me the vin and I will look into it.

Reply to
djdave

That won't work. They don't even list it on the computer (any longer). Here's the scope. In 1986, Ford started making Ford Ranger (small truck) as a 4X4. The assembled the body and drive train assembly separately at two different plant. (Body was done in Grand Rapids, Mi and the drive train was done in Brookyne, Mi). Both were sent to Lansing, Mi for final assembly. Since this was something new, they had an aftermarketer construct the fuel tank. It's was just made for the 1986 thru 1988 model years. it was a 15 gal tank. Height and width were approx 12 inches (same as standard 17 gal tank). the length was approx .

46 inches, where the 17 gal tan is about 51 inches. I can order the 17 gal tank with no problem, however the 15 gal tank is just not out there.

I've called every auto parts outfit, they can't find it. Note, it was listed at the Ford dealership on their comuter, they couldn't find one left in the system.

I have a friend that works for Ford in Mi, he did the research for me. About the only option that I have are (1) find a tank in a junkyard. (2) someone finds one for me. (3) Have one made for me (probaly my best option), and finally, just sell the truck "as is"

If you can help, I'd appreciate it. John.

Reply to
ADAK96

ok, I see you have all your bases covered, did you get an actual part number for the tank from ford?

Sec>That won't work. They don't even list it on the computer (any longer).

Reply to
djdave

Using a bigger tank (17 gal) is not an option. Since it's a 4X4, it has cross-over members under the cab to protect the trans and underbody.

The 17 gal tank is too long and won't fit in the the same space as the 15 gal tank.

I have the part # of the 15 gal tank, but like I said, it's not carried any longer in inventory of any of the major part outfits or Ford.

Reply to
ADAK96

Which motor do you have, what fuel delivery system? I might have an idea that will work

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

All that info was posted in the thread.. here is some of that info....

[...]

This issue was first posted back in April. And in 1988 ford used two 4 cyl engines, one had a carb, the 2.0, the other had fuel injection, the 2.3. Some of the trucks had a mid tank, like the poster's, and some had a rear tank, sat between the frame rails behind the rear axle. Wither rear or mid mount fuel tanks, they both used the same fuel pumps. so if he cant find the short 15 gallon mid tank, perhaps he can find the 17 gallon rear mount tank, extend the wiring harness and fuel lines. The in tank pump was a low pressure pump. Some flare nuts, a length of steel tubing and a double flaring tool and he could be back in business, not to mention an additional 2 gallons for another

35 miles in range. Now then the V-6 powered Rangers used the same fuel pumps as the 2.3, which means the V-6 powered trucks fuel tanks will work, which came in mid and rear mount as well.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning
4 cylinders, Electric fuel pump (pump is in the tank)
Reply to
ADAK96