88 Ranger with leaky clutch

I have 4 wd 4 speed manual that my son is trying to restore to operational use. The engine is running after working on emptying the fuel tank of sand and replacing both pumps. Now the clutch fluid leaks preventing the clutch from disengaging. The manual says I must drop the entire tranny to get at the leaky hydraulic clutch. Is there any way of avoiding this? I see too many shafts and transfer cases that make this a daunting task for a shade tree mechanic.

Reply to
Pops

Sorry should be an 88 Bronco II not Ranger

Reply to
Pops

Need any (used) parts? I have a 1990 BII (XLT, 5-speed, 4x4) that I am parting out. Just let me know what you're interested in and we'll talk!

As for fixing a leaking clutch, where is it leaking? A friend of mine has a Mazda RX-7 that had a leaky master clutch cylinder. He bought a rebuild kit and he and I fixed that -- quite easy, actually. If it is leaking inside the transmission then I suspect you will have to get in there to repair it. I haven't taken the transmission off of mine yet, but if you still need the information I can tell you what I learn when I get there. (some nice weekend soon when I can work outside and immobilize my BII; we had 48 hours of rain this past weekend :-/).

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Bud To those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will ever know. Anonymously scrawled on a bunker at Khe Sahn, RVN.

Reply to
Budroe

WTF is it with people and the A4LD ?

PS it's not the transmission, it's that the cooler in the radiator is plugged with crap from the converter

Reply to
TranSurgeon