89 F150 fuel question.

I recently picked up a 89 F150 4.9 5 Speed. I have only put about 20 miles on it so far. The front tank reads about 1/4 tank and the truck runs fine. The rear tank reads about 1 1/4 tank and will intermittently act like the truck is running out of gas. If I put in the clutch and hold the gas pedal down a little more, it will usually resolve the issue, but sometimes I have to switch to the front tank.

Could this be the infamous valve to switch between tanks?

Thanks, Ted

Reply to
Ted

Baybe, or maybe not. You may have old/bad fuel in the rear tank. Depending on how long it's been in there. It may have absorbed water, especially if you are in an area where it contains ethanol.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Thanks, No ethanol here yet. I think I will get some gas dryer.

Any ideas about the gauge reading about 1 1/4 full. Do you think that there could be that much condensation? It seems like a lot. I really don't cherish the idea of having to drain the tank.

Ted

Reply to
Ted

You will find many posts to this group about F150 fuel problems in vehicles of that era. Briefly, there are three petrol pumps - one LP in each tank and one HP which feed the fuel rail. Between the fuel tank and the HP pump is a thing called (from memory) the dual function reservoir. Also relevant to your problem is the possibility that one tank (or the other) has spent long periods empty. In that situation, the sender assembly composts! And the tank corrodes.

All these things are repairable - the problem is to identify the fault.

Happy hunting.

Reply to
Ken