89 Ranger 2WD 2.3 L4 Fuel Economy Experiences...

I just bought this truck, it has the 5-speed manual. Has anyone had one of these and, if so, what has your actual experience been with actual fuel economy? I can't fill the tank because there is some kind of a leak at the top of it (any ideas on that, by the way?) but it seem to be barely getting 20 MPG...

Thanks in advance....

Reply to
septicman

On the leak yup sure do know the issue. Ford in their infinite wisdom put a plastic shield over the tank. Dirt gets trapped under it and stays wet the top of the tank rots out. Let me guess you cant put more than a half tank or it leaks all over the place.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks. The tank on my truck is plastic.....what have you heard about them?

Reply to
septicman

the 5- speed, it is actually a 4- speed w/ overdrive. That's the same trann= y that I have in my Ranger. As for fuel economy, 20 mpg in a truck is good.= I'll have to pay closer attention as to the mpg on mine. I have had my ran= ger for a year now, except for routine maintenance, I haven't had to work o= n my truck. But I'd say mine is above average. I bought my ranger from my d= ad for a song. My dad owned the truck since 92. It had 49k miles on it back= then. A year ago, it had 85k miles. As of today, it has 96k miles on it. M= y fifteen year old daughter wants me to give it to her for her first vehicl= e=2E About the leaky gas tank, just order a new tank. They aren't that much= , and fairly easy to replace. Hope this helps you out. Enjoy your truck. Be= safe.

Reply to
brianatwell1969

My older brother had an 89 2.3L with the 5spd back in the late 90's. He got around 20mpg, sometimes more and sometimes less. It only got about 17 in the city, and about 22 on the highway with no wind. So it sounds like your truck is doing what its supposed to. It really all depends on the gears in the rearend, and the size of the tires. My brothers truck has 14" tires on it.

As for the leak, its probably from the fuel pump being replaced sometime, and the gasket didnt get seated right, or pushed out. Easiest way to get to the pump on that truck is to lift the bed, and look at the top of the tank. I bet you can spot it immediately. Either that or it could be leaking out of your fuel tank vent hose (could be rotted out)...

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech