89 Ranger clutch/trans problem

It's a V-6 and I just replaced the clutch 1800 miles ago. I had no problems with the new clutch, til now. Hydraulic fluid is full. I can't change gears unless I shut off the engine first. When I let the clutch out it'll grab about a 1/2-3/4 of an inch off the floorboard. I replaced everything when I did the clutch. Any ideas on why this is acting the way it is? Am I going to have to get back in there and do something with the throw out bearing? It's been cold the past few days and the truck was sitting for about a week unused. Any ideas would be helpful.

Reply to
mbjj

Sounds like it's not disengaging all the way.. Is it a self-bleeding system or do you have to bleed it?? Might be a good idea to check the slave cylinder for leaks. Had a similar prob on a '87 Toyota PU I used to have. Slave cylinder had a bad internal seal and wouldn't hold pressure as the fluid got warm. Might not be a bad idea to check the clutch master cylinder while you're at it.

Is the clutch rod coming off the pedal assembly adjusted properly? If it's not providing enough throw, it won't move the slave piston far enough to pull the clutch plate off the flywheel..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

It has an internal slave cylinder. When I replaced the clutch I didn't have to bleed it. It has a stopper in the line to prevent air from getting in. Pedal travel for the first 3 inches has no resistance. It catches about an inch off the floor. It's entire working range is approx. an inch and a half from the floor board out. I never made any adjustments to the clutch rod. I didn't have to, everything just worked when we put it back together. Keep in mind it has been running trouble free for almost 2000 miles since the new clutch. I think something failed to disengage when I changed from reverse to 1st gear and drove down the drive. It was at the end of the driveway [about 100 yards] that I couldn't shift anymore. When the engine is off I can shift through all 5 gears so it has to be clutch related. The transmission is going to have to come out again, isn't it?

Reply to
mbjj

Sounds like it needs bled to me.

Steve Barker

Similar to the 'yota. I'd try bleeding the system if at all possible.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

Check your firewall first. I had this happen to me once. Some spotwelds broke and the master cylinder was moving outward a ways before the plunger moved. I put wet rags around it and hit it with a mig welder. Its A-OK now.

GOD BLESS THE USA

Reply to
Bob