8mm foam butyl?

In replacing the rear windshield of my F150 the installations instructions call for the application of 8mm foam butyl before setting the new windscreen. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can find this product other than a dealer? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.

One of those autoglass installer places? Speedy Autoglass?

Reply to
I. Care

NAPA, any autobody supply house, comes in a caulking gun tube, or "tape roll". Tape roll 5/16" x 15' Napa part number MMM08621 $8.49. Caulking tube style easier to use, tape requires channel to be thoroughly cleaned of all residue, the tube version is "self leveling", and has a ton of other uses.

Don't get it on anything you don't want it on. I have stuck large chrome pieces of trim, like the pieces at the bottom of the rear pillar post in a '65 Falcon Futura with the stuff, almost

25 years later they are still on rock solid..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That's why I don't want to use the caulking gun stuff. Too messy if it gets on any thing. I intend to use my mini-dremel to thoroughly clean the channel before using the butyl tape. I tried the local Kragen and they didn't have it. There is a Pep Boys a few miles away and a NAPA up in Santee I think.

Thanks for the suggesti>> In replacing the rear windshield of my F150 the installations

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.

If you use the dremel and it takes the paint off, make sure you primer the channel and then a coat of paint of the same type on the vehicle now or you'll have rust in the frame area.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Thanks but I have a ton of soft brush attachments that shouldn't damage the frame/channel at all. I finally found some at a local galls shop used by the closest Ford dealer and they sell it cheaper than NAPA's

5/16ths product. Go figure.

Whitelightn>> That's why I don't want to use the caulking gun stuff. Too messy if it

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.

Reply to
David F. Mishiwiec Sr.