91 F150 Exhaust Manifold

I have a 1991 F150 with the 302 V8 and I am replacing the exhaust manifold on the passenger side. When I removed the old manifold I was surprised to find that there was no gasket. Can anyone tell me if the block and replacement manifold will be true enough to get a good seal when I torque it down or should I be looking for a gasket set for it. Is this a common thing for older Ford blocks?

Art

Reply to
arossi

get a gasket set. Its common for many manufacturers back in the day. But then that was when skilled craftsman were making things.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

It was not originally built with exh manifold gaskets. It is a good idea to use gaskets if the surfaces have corroded over the years. You can buy just the gaskets at almost any decent parts store. It will use the same gaskets as the

221, 260, 289 or 302. If you think it is necessary - it usually is not - to use a sealer, be sure to use the high temp copper stuff.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Thanks guys, I was able to get them pretty clean and they were in good shape (no corrosion), so I just bolted it back on and it doesn't leak.

Art

Reply to
arossi