91 Ranger Fuel Gauge/Sender Question

The fuel gauge on my Ranger hasn't worked in quite a while (always read below empty) so I decided to replace the sender. After doing so, the gauge now always reads past full!!!! Obviously the sender probably wasn't bad. Any ideas on where to go now? Also, I'm only getting a reading of 6.8 volts at the fuel pump (8.5 on the sender).

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

somewhere in the circuit. Fuel gauges are like this. The ign sends 12 volts to the gauge which passes it on to the tank sending unit. The sending unit has a resister coil mounted to it with the sliding arm attached to a float which measures fuel level. What happens is when the the tank if at any givin level the voltage going to the sender varies depending on where on the resister the contact arm is sitting. the closer to the source voltage the arm is the higher the voltage and thus the gauge shows this by the needle moveing higher ot lower depending on how the maker decided to wire it. You have 8.6 volts at the gauge and 6 something at the sending unit. Sounds like the sending unit and wireing are good, replace the gauge and you should be good to go.

Reply to
fredzo