91 Ranger - Replacing Fuel Pump/Sender Report

Well DROPPING the tank wasn't too bad once I got the nuts loosened on the tank and the shield.

The fuel hoses were long enough to reach the ground but the electrical connector must be removed after lowering the tank approx. 5-6 inches. You can reach that from the shielded side of the tank (it sits right inside the black crown which holds the fuel pump).

Getting the tank back up was a bit more challenging. Do make sure it is empty; even a little gas will slosh around inside and keep shifting the weight.

I found it easiest to use the jack and 2x4 right on the retaining straps to get them high enough to screw back in.

HINTS:

  1. If you don't have a shell, DO remove your bed to complete this procedure if you can. I found it impossible to get the filler hose secured to the tank properly from the underside.

  1. Ensure tank electrical connector is on good and tight. Mine came off and I had to lower the tank again to get it back on.

  2. It has been reported that a bad sender will make gauge read past "F". My sender was bad (gauge now works) but always read "E". Depends on how resistance is set on pump.

Well, gotta replace slave cylinder (drop transmission). Will report when completed.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King