91 Ranger Starting Problem

Tried to start my 91 Ranger (2.3L standard) this morning and it turned over but would not start. As I continued to attempt to start, it then died completely....no juice at all. Battery tests good (it is brand new).

However, when I turn on the ignition switch and do a battery check, I get a clicking noise coming from the power distribution box. This noise goes away if I pull the ignition fuse in the box.

Any ideas? Power into the relay is normal but I can't seem to get a good reading coming out. Would the relay cause the clicking noise in the power distribution box?

Any ideas as to my problem would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

You might want to replace the cable that runs from the battery to the starter motor. Sounds like the same thing that happened to mine a couple of years ago. Seems this cable is made of aluminum, not copper, and any acid from the battery that manages to get inside the cable insulation will eventually eat away enough of the cable to prevent it carrying enough current to crank the engine.

db

Reply to
D.L. Bowen