92 F-150 Oil in Filter housing.

My 92 F-150 (5.0) seems to keep accumulating certain amount of oil in the air filter housing. When I changed the filter a few months back there was some in there and last night when I checked there is some again. When I had changed the air filter last time I also changed the other smaller filter which blocks the hose from the oil. This time around the oil that was in the filter housing seemed to be churned up or foamy. I had a local tire place change my oil last, so I don't know what grade was put in it. Does this line from the oil to the air filter housing have a major function or can it be eliminated?

--Mike

Reply to
Mike L.

|My 92 F-150 (5.0) seems to keep accumulating certain amount of oil in |the air filter housing. When I changed the filter a few months back |there was some in there and last night when I checked there is some |again. When I had changed the air filter last time I also changed the |other smaller filter which blocks the hose from the oil. This time |around the oil that was in the filter housing seemed to be churned up |or foamy. |I had a local tire place change my oil last, so I don't know what |grade was put in it. |Does this line from the oil to the air filter housing have a major |function or can it be eliminated?

You can't eliminate that hose. It's the inlet air for the PCV system. Sounds like you have a lot of blowby. Change the PCV valve pronto and you may luck out. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Unless the PCV is really horible, you have positive pressure in the crankcase and this is the beginning of the end. It could go a long long time this way. Find a cheap source of filters and keep changing them rather than starve your engine with an oil soaked filter.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Problem could be from carbon on your rings causing them to stick. I have used Seaform Motor treatment and found it works great on problems like that. Check it out

jt

When it gets so bad you are replacing filters all the time, poke some holes in the filter. Make sure you don't have oil leaking from a hose fitting all over the engine and onto the manifold because it can catch fire.

Reply to
MaxAluminum

Have you checked and cleaned the filter under the PVC valve in the block? It is possible that it is plugged keeping the PCV valve from doing it's job.

Reply to
lugnut