93 7.3 diesel ... problems?

I am looking at a 93 truck with a 7.3 diesel in it. When it is first started, it seems to run rough for maybe 20 seconds, then it smooths out. Is this a common problem? Is it a problem at all? Truck has 75000 on it, but a lot of idling time. Thanks for any replies!

Reply to
mainiacs

Somewhat normal for a few seconds. Any longer, and it probably needs the injectors rebuilt. They're probably getting weak and drippy. They are about $60 each.

Reply to
Steve Barker

My dad has one of those, and it did that only when it was cold out. The truck has turned over the odometer, and the engine has pulled flawlessly. Only real problem that truck has had was a bad torque converter (this thing was loud. I mean LOUD. Ford kept telling him (under warranty) that it was the vac. pump (which was promptly replaced w/o solving anything) and only after it was all said and done, did they suggest he may be right, and replaced the converter (which miraculously solved the problem). This truck as been worked hard on the farm, and gone hunting quite a bit up in AL and GA. We live in Central/West Florida.

MY >I am looking at a 93 truck with a 7.3 diesel in it. When it is first

Reply to
Gromit

Was it very hard to start? Crank along time? The glow plugs might not be heating the pre-chambers. They're about $10 a piece. Or the heating control relay might be bad. About $200.

Does it smoke while idling? More than faint to none is bad. When powering away from a stop? Slight black fuel smoke is okay. "Freight train" is bad. Only on start up? Small amount of white and black okay if it goes away quickly. If it's rough only at first then goes away it could be the injectors leaking by because the springs and seats have worn. You can get complete new injectors online or from the local auto parts for about $25-35 dollars.

These are great trucks that can work hard for along time. Talk the owner about it and see if you can work something out with him.

I wouldn't trade my 94 Crew cab for a new one. Granted the new ones are faster. But mines paid for and pulls everything I want without trouble.

Good luck.

Reply to
V-Maxer

Do tell more about these "$25-$35 injectors. Never in all my years at Ford did we ever hear of a NEW one either.

Reply to
Steve Barker