"93 Explorer A/C

Recently the clutch seized on my a/c unit. I ordered a replacement clutch/compressor, but when it arrived it had a sticker on the side of it stating that is was for r134a.

How can tell what type of refrigerant my system uses? This is the time when Ford was using r12 and r134a in their systems. there is nothing in the engine compartment or in the owner's manual.

I know from online sources that there are two different a/c clutch assemblies for the different refrigerants.

Thank you

ps...I have a 93 for taurus that uses r12 and it is marked up everywhere...go figure.

Reply to
brian ellis

what do the service fittings (pressure test ports) look like ?

R-12 have threads on the outside

R-134a look like an air-hose quick-disconnect fitting

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer