93 F-250 motor up grade ?????

How much trouble is it to pull out a 351w and put in a 460 , it is a 93 F-250 4X4 auto trans. Clean truck but bad motor, just wanting more pulling power. I know it would probably be easier to buy a different truck but I really don't want to. could rebuild the 351w but,it never did have enough power.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
sparky

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 23:29:03 +0000, sparky rearranged some electrons to form:

If I am not mistaken, the trans. bolt patterns are different, so you would need a different transmission converter housing. I think it would be less trouble to rebuild the 351.

Reply to
David M

You are correct - It won't bolt up.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
Dennis

|How much trouble is it to pull out a 351w and put in a 460 , |it is a 93 F-250 4X4 auto trans. Clean truck but bad motor, |just wanting more pulling power. I know it would probably be |easier to buy a different truck but I really don't want to. |could rebuild the 351w but,it never did have enough power.

I'll take that 351W if you go that route :) Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B

How much trouble is it to pull out a 351w and put in a 460 , |it is a 93 F-250 4X4 auto trans. Clean truck but bad motor, |just wanting more pulling power. I know it would probably be |easier to buy a different truck but I really don't want to. |could rebuild the 351w but,it never did have enough power.

I'll take that 351W if you go that route :) Rex in Fort Worth

I like my 351w in my F250 has speed and towining power I wouldn't mind taking off your hands Johnny in Broken Arrow Ok,

Reply to
EL PERRO GRANDE

Don't forget the 460 is a much heavier engine and to keep the same ride and front end height you'll need to go with heavier springs.

Your old pickup just won't feel/handle the same with the heavier engine up there either. :/

If a 460 is the way you want to go, might as well get a different pickup.

If you only want more power, do like suggested, and do some cool stuff to the 351. BTW, is it weak or did you run it to death. :/

BTDT with my '75 360 engine (sorta:)

Get rid of that friggin weak and gasoline wasting original cam (does both those at the same time!) and build you and engine that'll out perform the stock 460 with less weight. :)

Want more cubes and "guts" than the 351? ...stroker kit! :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

it has 180,000 miles on it and the compression rings are bad has to much blow by, it is pushing oil up the tube into the air box , but it does not us any oil. much cam could you add and still run the auto trans. and the AC it has a vortech super charger and accel coil .

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
sparky