'93 F-250 power door locks buzzing

I just purchased a 1993 F-250 XLT and it has a problem with the power door locks. When you push the lock button, the door locks, and then it makes a loud buzzing sound like it's still trying to lock the door. Anyone run across this before? Is it the actuator, or the switch that's broken?

Thanks, Ed B. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Ed B.

actuator

Reply to
PC PODD

I took off the door panel and was able to partially see the actuator motor, and it appears to only be loose. When I reach into the door frame and pull on the actuator motor so that it's tight, the buzzing stops and the power locks work normally. The problem is that I can't get in there to work on it. The actuator motor is at the bottom of the door behind the door frame, and I don't see any way to take the door apart further to get to it. It looks like there's a tie wrap holding the top part of the actuator motor on, so there may be another one at the bottom that broke off.

Ed

Reply to
Ed B.

Ed,

Not sure what's happening when you pull on it but they go bad all the time. The actuator is held in by a bracket which is attached to the door by a big rivet.You have to punch out the center of the rivet then drill the rivet to remove the actuator.Yes they are a pain in the A to work on. Keep in mind once you drill the rivet you have to replace it. This operation calls for a very large rivet gun.

Reply to
PC PODD

If they are the same ones as used on the window motors, I believe they are 1/4". You are right, commercial duty rivet gun required.

Rivets can be had at the Ford parts counter.

David Jones djonesLSidaho.com

Reply to
IdaSpode