93’ Ford Ranger Wiper Problem

I have a 6-cyl 3.0L Auto 93’ Ford Ranger. Ever since i bought it (used) about a year ago, its had this annoying wiper problem. Here’s the deal: The wiper is controlled by a rotating knob on the end of the blinker stick. In order to control the speed of the wipers, you have to turn it counter-clockwise, going from slowest to the highest speed. The problem is that the wipers only work when you put it on "high" speed. So in order to use the wipers, you have to turn the knob clockwise all the way to where you cant turn it anymore for it to work. You can see why this would be a nuisance, as I personally look like an idiot putting my wipers on high in light rain. I would really appreciate the help, as I dont want to take it to a shop because of what a small, useless problem it is.

Thanks, Adam

βœ–

I have a '95 ranger that the wipers would just suddenly come on for no reason. Imagine how stupid I felt sitting at a light on a nice sunny day and suddenly my wipers are going full speed and I'm playing with the switch to try to get them to stop.

Anyway, it turned out to be the Multi-fuction switch which is the same as you discribed. It wasn't that difficult to change, but shop around for the best price. I called 3 different dealers, and they had prices ranging from 45 to 180 dollars for the thing. The service departments also gave me differing instructions for how to change it. One even told me I would have to remove the steering wheel.

Good Luck.

--
The Cross-eyed Barber

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 18:26:19 GMT, skyhigh4077 < snipped-for-privacy@000.com> wrote:
βœ–

The Cross-eyed Barber wrote:

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/phantomwipers.htm

Add pictures here
βœ–

Great link! Wish I had seen that before I bought a new one!

--
The Cross-eyed Barber

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:09:01 -0500, tomcas
βœ–

"The Cross-eyed Barber" wrote:

same

That help’s alot! I appreciate it, and Ill follow up after i find/install the module.

βœ–

You could have one of two problems.

Could be a bad multifunction switch, OR it could be a bad low speed brush in the motor. I doubt the brush though, cause you didnt say anything about them not returning to full bottom when you turn them off.

I would go after that multi-function switch (blinker handle-LOL).... Sorry, didnt mean to laugh at you...

Ford Tech

Add pictures here
βœ–

No, the wipers do not go down to the bottom when i turn them off. They stop at the spot where i turn them off, so i have to turn the wipers off when they reach the bottom. So do you think it has to do with the brush your talking about? If so, what should I do with/to it?

Hahaha, dont worry about it. I grew up my whole life in kentucky where people called it a "flicker", so you cant blame me LOL. :P

"Ford Tech" wrote:

> > >I have a 6-cyl 3.0L Auto 93' Ford Ranger. Ever since i bought > it > > (used) about a year ago, its had this annoying wiper > problem. Here's > > the deal: The wiper is controlled by a rotating knob on the > end of the > > blinker stick. In order to control the speed of the wipers, > you have > > to turn it counter-clockwise, going from slowest to the > highest speed. > > The problem is that the wipers only work when you put it on > "high" > > speed. So in order to use the wipers, you have to turn the > knob > > clockwise all the way to where you cant turn it anymore for > it to > > work. You can see why this would be a nuisance, as I > personally look > > like an idiot putting my wipers on high in light rain. I > would really > > appreciate the help, as I dont want to take it to a shop > because of > > what a small, useless problem it is. > > > > Thanks, Adam > > You could have one of two problems. > > Could be a bad multifunction switch, OR it could be a bad low > speed brush in > the motor. I doubt the brush though, cause you didnt say > anything about them > not returning to full bottom when you turn them off. > > I would go after that multi-function switch (blinker > handle-LOL).... Sorry, > didnt mean to laugh at you... > > Ford Tech

Add pictures here
βœ–

Replace the wiper motor.. Cause that sounds like your problem to me..

Ford Tech

Add pictures here
βœ–