93 Ranger nearly stalls

Daughters is coming over tomorrow with a problem, 93 small 6cyl, manual transmission. She spent the night on the 4th , next morning it starts but the rpm's drop almost to the stalling level, surges back up and repeats for about 2 minutes then it's fine, she told me it had been doing it for about a month ( she's away at school so I don't see the truck too often) Saw a previous post about a problem with the idle air control valve could it be the same thing or any other suggestions as what to look at . With it only lasting for a few minutes it looks like it will be hard to pinpoint.

Thanks for any input, Phil

Reply to
Phil

Could be the engine temp sensor. Is the check engine light on?

Reply to
JimV

Sorry , I'm not sure , and I didn't think to ask her ., it's made me think though , if it does come on I can drive it to one of the local places that check the codes , good idea , thank you .

Reply to
Phil

They probably can't read it. It's EECIV not ODBII.

Reply to
JimV

Sorry , I'm not sure , and I didn't think to ask her ., it's made me think though , if it does come on I can drive it to one of the local places that check the codes , good idea , thank you .

She overslept an came over at noon , not the best time to be working on vehicles in Florida. The check engine light doesn't come on . Pulled a few of the sensors I could access without any special tools and cleaned them and reseated all the connectors on the off chance I might get lucky. She started it up a few hours later and I got too see the problem, it started ok , revs real high then slows almost to a stall, it only last 30 secs,she told me 2 mins ( probably feels like 2 minutes ) then it levels of to normal , I 'm feeling she might have to live with it until we get a complete component failure or its a bit more consistent

Reply to
Phil

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:42:43 -0500, Phil rearranged some electrons to form:

IAC dirty?

Reply to
David M

Update ....became worse, turned out to be the temp sensor , now the clutch need to be replaced.... bad to worse !

Reply to
Phil

Sorry to hear that. Not a fun job.

Reply to