'93 Ranger spare tire carrier

Helping a friend w/ brakes on '93 Ranger... was appalled when I got under there, spare tire carrier is missing hardware and spare tire was up against rear axle. Apparently he was driving it like that... The carrier itself looks salvageable but there are at least two pieces of hardware missing...

- the bolt that holds the spring loaded catch at the rear to the carrier itself. (the only reason the carrier hasn't fallen down is that the pivot is rusted...)

- the big threaded bit that actually holds the tire to the carrier looks like it was cut with an angle grinder at some point.

I can probably torch out the big threaded bit, but does anyone know what I need to "make it right?" Better yet, is there an exploded diagram? Or is this "dealer only" stuff (in which case I'll just tell him to invest in a chain and padlock and carry it in the bed, as that'll likely be cheaper.)

thanks

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Never mind - I just realized that they both MUST be 1/2" bolts, so as to be able to be loosened with the lug wrench (3/4" hex.) So it's just a matter of figuring fine or coarse thread, and seeing what length the long one has to be. Even if they originally were some wing nut or hand wheel arrangement a 1/2" bolt will work without requiring the driver to carry extra tools. Sometimes you realize a question is dumb but not until after you've asked it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Update: they're actually metric thread, but heads are whatever metric size is close to 3/4" so it's all good. M12 coarse if anyone searches for this in the future. Hopefully as soon as the pivot bracket comes out of the magic derusting tank (that was the only reason my friend's crap didn't fall out on the road; the buildup of rust on the pivot kept the thing from swinging down) it'll be back together; correctly, this time.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel