'93 Ranger spare tire carrier

Threaded View
Helping a friend w/ brakes on '93 Ranger...  was appalled when I got
under there, spare tire carrier is missing hardware and spare tire was
up against rear axle.  Apparently he was driving it like that...  The
carrier itself looks salvageable but there are at least two pieces of
hardware missing...

- the bolt that holds the spring loaded catch at the rear to the carrier
itself.  (the only reason the carrier hasn't fallen down is that the
pivot is rusted...)

- the big threaded bit that actually holds the tire to the carrier looks
like it was cut with an angle grinder at some point.

I can probably torch out the big threaded bit, but does anyone know what
I need to "make it right?"  Better yet, is there an exploded diagram?
Or is this "dealer only" stuff (in which case I'll just tell him to
invest in a chain and padlock and carry it in the bed, as that'll likely
be cheaper.)

thanks

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Re: '93 Ranger spare tire carrier

Never mind - I just realized that they both MUST be 1/2" bolts, so as to
be able to be loosened with the lug wrench (3/4" hex.)  So it's just a
matter of figuring fine or coarse thread, and seeing what length the
long one has to be.  Even if they originally were some wing nut or hand
wheel arrangement a 1/2" bolt will work without requiring the driver to
carry extra tools.  Sometimes you realize a question is dumb but not
until after you've asked it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Re: '93 Ranger spare tire carrier

Update: they're actually metric thread, but heads are whatever metric
size is close to 3/4" so it's all good.  M12 coarse if anyone searches
for this in the future.  Hopefully as soon as the pivot bracket comes
out of the magic derusting tank (that was the only reason my friend's
crap didn't fall out on the road; the buildup of rust on the pivot kept
the thing from swinging down) it'll be back together; correctly, this time.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel