94 5.8 wont start.. after new timing chain.. water pump installled....

Hello all!

Ok.. We're working on a totally stock 94 5.8 Bronco that ran before we started all this. We started out fixing a broken off bolt that holds the timing cover housing on. Once we got it drilled out and a new heli coil in.. we started to reassemble. We thought.. since we were in there...we would replace the timinig chain and gears. I was very careful to not move the crank or the cam when doing so (the new chain was a little tighter than the old one). The new timing chain and gears slide right on.. without any fuss. Then proceeded to reassemble everyting else...new water pump, gaskets.. hoses... etc. Now.. the engine wont start. I think I have tracked it down to the coil...there is no spark coming out of the coil wire ( I used a test light on both wires going to the coil.. both were hot) but still no spark from the coil. Sooo... we replaced the coil.. with a new one.. but still no spark. SOOOO any thoughts on this....I'm trying to find out what triggers the spark from the coil.. I thought it was the distributor...but we didnt play with that at all... well.. until things started to not work. I would also think that even if we had totally messed up the timing chain (but I dont think we did)... we should still be getting a spark (oh.. and I'm using an old spark plug.. grounded to test for that...I have FORD 5.0 that runs fine....and we got a nice hot spark from the plug... when we turned the engine over.. so.. I think it should be the same for the Bronco 5.8L). I'm your typical back yard mechanic.. but.. I have a big back yard... :)....so.. can someone help me out... what am I missing?

Thanks!

Reply to
Mustang Guy

Start at square one, Pull the distributor cap and watch it spin when you crank the motor. now check the cap and rotor over real good. A shot of wd40 wont hurt either. It lubricates and displaces moisture. Next, go out at night and crank it over and look for crossfiring/shorting at the wires.

Also make sure your engine is well grounded to the battery.

djdave

Reply to
djdave