94 A/C R-12 or 134a ????

Hi. I hope some one out there can help me with a problem. I have a 1994 Ranger 4.0L 5sp. I need to charge the A/C. The guy at the parts store told me that 94 was the "changeover" year and the refrigerant could be R-12 or 134a. The Chilton manual said the same thing. I checked it our carefully and found two small yellowish tags (appear to be factory) on the A/C lines that say R-134a - non (something). Each of these tags is near a screw on (schrader type) valve (that is covered by a screw on black plastic cover). HOWEVER! I cannot find a "quick disconnect" fitting used on the R-134a charging kits anywhere. So...... do I have a R-12 system that was factory filled with 134a and has the R-12 fittings - which will (?) require the "retrofit" adapters to charge with 134a refrigerant? Any help/advise/ or experience from others with similar problems appriciated - THANKS - in Atlanta.

Reply to
UncleDuke