94 f150 4x4 clunking noises

Hi Have a 94 F150 XLT 4x4 auto hubs all stock. When on dirt roads I engage the 4x4 and about a hunderd or so yards later I hear awfull clunking/poping noises and the steering wheel twitches. Later on if I disengage the 4x4 about a hundered or so yards later I hear awfull clunking/poping noises and the steering wheel twitches. The 4x4 light comes on or goes off within second or two fo pushing the button. This is very repeatable.

I took the hubs apart and found one plastic spacer on the passenger side cracked. Otherwise there is no obvious problems or indication of gears grinding or not messhing. I am ording the spacer from ford tommorrow. Has anyone experienced this or have suggestions.

tia jimo

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

We used to pull those off and replace them with a quality manual hub, then no more problems.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

AMEN!! ;-)

We used to pull those off and replace them with a quality manual hub, then no more problems.

Spdloader

Reply to
pj

Hit up

and check out their online catalog for manual hub kits for your rig then part number in hand, hit up your local off-road shop. I pretty much use 4 Wheel Parts for my off road goodies.. YMMV

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

thanx for the responses. I have purchased a set of warn manual locking hubs from 4-west. It will be next week before I have time to install them.

jimo

Reply to
Marvin Oliver