94 Ranger dies while driving

We have a 94 Ranger V6 2x4. The engine was high mileage and had a head gasket leak and was consuming oil. We replaced the engine with a Jasper remanufactured engine. Everything seems fine with one exception: it dies while driving with no warning.

We're looking for suggestions. The ignition switch was bad so I replaced it. No difference. We've considered replacing the computer but the frustration is growing to the point we're considering selling the truck which we really don't want to do. It's in good mechanical shape otherwise.

Help.

Reply to
TroubledTruckDad

So when it dies and you restart it does it start right up? Remember Fuel, Air and spark. Are the plugs firing when you try to restart? Does the fuel pump run? Are there any diagnostic codes set?

Reply to
I. Care

You need to pull codes. The computer will tell you what went away.

My '94 Bronco had an issue with the fuel pump, and failed to start. I pulled codes, reset them, and it failed again so I pulled codes again. The second list of codes was shorter than the first, but the fuel pump issue was on both lists.

You need to pull codes, make a list and reset them. If there is a repeat -- and I expect there will be -- then pull codes again. Fix the item on both lists. Be aware that an item might affect a sub-system, and you have to fix the main problem, not the sub-system.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

V6 2x4. The engine was high mileage and had a

Seems I accidentally sent the reply to your "fake" address which means it didn't make it into the post so here it is again as best I can recall what I typed.

I don't know if there are any new codes. The problem is intermittent and is not reproducible on-demand. It usually happens while driving in the middle of nowhere. It takes between 30 minutes and several hours before it will start again. Last month, it happened and though it would start again after a short wait, it would run about 3 minutes then die again. It took several hours before it would start and stay running.

Due to the intermittent nature of the problem, it's rare that tools are available check anything. My son, who is deaf, drives the truck and would be hard pressed to determine if the fuel pump is running by sound.

We'll check the computer for codes again and if there are any, we'll post them.

Thanks

Reply to
TroubledTruckDad

Many years ago I had a similar problem that turned out to be a wire to the electric fuel pump, broken inside the insulation. It intermittently made contact and would run until I hit a bump. May be worth looking at.

Glen

Reply to
Arthur Dent