94 Ranger - groans when backing up

I have a 94 Ford Ranger that makes a loud groaning sound (from the wheels/axle area, not the engine) when I'm backing up in the morning. It sounds to me like wet brakes, but it makes the sound when it's not wet and I'm not braking. It's quite loud in the cab. Anybody know what's causing this and how to fix it?

Reply to
Bryan Daisley

Check the driveshaft universal joints.

Reply to
Doc

Oar check to make sure your brakes aren't binding up and rubbing the drums, even though you are not braking and you've released them.

The rear brakes stick on my 99 Ranger when it's moist out, particularly in the morning. Sometimes in the winter I have to rock the truck back and forth to break them loose.

Reply to
phaeton