94 Ranger problems (tranny and now white smoke)

94 Ranger XLT 4x4 4 l. auto (A4LD) 67,000 km 40,000 mi

1st issue (last week): The tranny was shifting hard up and down ( a firm clunk) @ about 20 mph. My mechanic had the dealer check the tranny codes and they said it was the modulator valve. I had my mechanic change the valve last week as well as the fluid as per Trans Surgeons recommendations. That being drop the pan and filter rather than flush so not to disturb anything in the converter. A cooler line had recently started leaking so I had those replaced as well.

My mechanic said that he also added some tranny fluid conditioner. Since then I've noticed a slippage on acceleration at the same 20 mph area where it used to clunk. Plus now on occasion there has been a grinding noise in reverse. It also seems to start out with a harder grab from stop now. If I gently accelerate, keeping the RPMs under 1250 I don't notice any slips and the shifts are quiet. Since most of my driving has been in town since the changes, I took it out for a highway run today hoping that might do something or show other symptoms before going back to the mechanic Monday. It didn't seem to help and I have barely used a 1/2 tank of gas since the work was done.

Any suggestions on what this might be? What to check for or what to do?

2nd issue (today): After reaching our 1st. destination of the short 40 minute highway drive, we stopped for about 15 minutes. I pulled back onto the highway and as I was accelerating up to 50 MPH there was a rattling and lots of white smoke started coming out of the exhaust. I let up on the gas and the smoke petered out soon stopping. Our next stop (and a phone) was just down the road so I continued on watching for more smoke, which never happened and kept a close eye on the gauges which all stayed in the normal range.

When we got to our next stop, I checked under the hood with the engine running. The coolant looked normal with no visible leaks. Tranny fluid looked normal. Then looked at the oil dipstick thinking I might see signs of water, it was clear. then I pulled off the oil filler cap, and gobs of white smoke started coming out the exhaust again. There was no sludge under the oil cap. I shut off the engine and called for a tow truck.

BTW I had the Oil and filter changed last week as well as passing the E-test with flying colours.

I'm thinking this is a head gasket, but wondering if someone might have other thoughts or suggestions on things to check for.

Thanks.

Reply to
Roy Brown

Update #1,

The mechanic say the white smoke was due to the modulator valve he replaced being defective. There was a defect in the diaphragm allowing tranny fluid to be sucked up into the intake. He replaced it @ N/C. He dropped the pan again to have a look (charging me an hours labour for the privilege). Said there was no debris, the fluid looked dark and that the tranny needed replacing. Could not specifically say what was wrong with it.

I'm off to a highly recommended tranny shop to see if they might have an answer a little better than the repeating shoulder shrug with raised palms.

Reply to
Roy Brown