95 Bronco 5.8L E4OD Transmission Whistle

I'm the only owner of this vehicle and, for the most part, it's given me 7 years and nearly 85,000 miles of trouble-free service. In the past few days, I've noticed a "whistling" noise coming from somewhere near the transmission or transfer case. I'm thinking it's the transmission because it seems to peak in volume around 1500 RPM in any gear. At a shift point, the noise seems to go away (or at least attenuate to a point where I can't hear it over road noise), only to start again as the engine RPM reaches 1500. The weather here (Anchorage, Alaska) has been rather cold and we've had a LOT of snow in the past week or so resulting in some driving through rather deep drifts. However, I've driven through deep snow in past years without hearing this noise.

Any ideas what I may be hearing? Is it the sound of impending doom and failure?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Doug Thompson

you need first of all to have the transmission fluid and filter changed

1) to make sure the filter isn't restricted 2) replace the filter-to-pump seal 3) to look for 'identifiable debris' in the pan

sounds like a restricted filter and the pump may be cavitating or sucking air around the filter neck

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

Also, in addition to chacking out the tranny and transfer case, you may want to make sure it isn't the rear end gear whining as well. I have heard a whistle very similar to the one you describe come from many ford rear ends. Even though it sounds like its coming from up front, the sound can travel and sound like its coming from anywhere. Just a thought, good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

I did have a rear end problem a couple of years ago that was fixed under warranty. That noise changed with vehicle speed. This problem seems to be changing with engine speed.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I had the transmission serviced (drain and fill) in June, so I'm hoping it's a filter issue.

Reply to
Doug Thompson

Follow-up information. I have an auto-start on this vehicle and this morning, I noticed the whistling noise when I started it up. The whistle was there even with the rig parked...so I think it's definately not the rear end! Any more ideas would be appreciated...could I actually have a clogged/frozen air filter? But why would the sound from inside the vehicle be from underneath?

Thanks again for any replies,

Doug

Reply to
Doug Thompson

Is it coming from the transmission itself or from the torque converter area? I've noticed a "whiny whistle" coming from my transmission lately, I changed the filter, which was really just a screen, and same sound is still there. I heard it could be coming from the pump...maybe yours is too?

Reply to
J Grant

It's whistleing because it don't know the words. Sorry, I counden't resist :(

Reply to
Indianaradio

While I still haven't found out what this whistling noise actually is, I'm now thinking that it may actually be coming from the engine compartment. Initially I thought that the belt might be loose and screaming, but that doesn't appear to be the case. What else under there could cause that whistling noise? It's pretty loud.

Reply to
Doug Thompson

You can eliminate the belt for sure by coating it with something. A shot of belt dressing will tell you pretty quick. Also, the idler pulley can go out prematurely and start a noise.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Maybe a cracked/leaking vacuum line? EGR line or valve?

Reply to
J Grant

I'd bet on the smog pump, mine whistles too. I forgot about that because I am used to it. If you can find a belt to go around it, you can listen to see if thats what it is because if the belt isn't around it, it won't make any noise. Thats how mine is. Good luck! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Ok, dumb question time... :/ How much air pressure does a smog pump make?

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

You can get a couple of psi out of them. They make excellent aquarium air pumps. Mount them on a board, drive them with a small motor and sit it in the basement where you don't have to listen to it. Then run your small tubing upstairs to the fish.

Reply to
Steve Barker