95 Bronco Check Engine Light

I just bought an Eddie Bauer Bronco and have piled on 200 miles already. The Check light came on this evening -- argh -- but it goes out if the key is swtiched OFF then ON, and driving is normal. The light will come on again after about 3 minutes. It seems that the light comes on after a few minutes and the time of the delay before it comes on seems consistant -- this is without actually using a stopwatch or anything.

Anyway, my question -- some cars will flash the Check light to indicate the stored code, some require mashing the gas pedal to the floor within a couple of seconds, others want the key switched on and off several times within a certain time period. How do I get the Check light to flash on my Ford truck? And, where can I find what the flashing light means?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

You're in or near Raleigh, right? Run by an Advance Auto or AutoZone and they'll read the codes for you, in hopes of selling you a part.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:02:22 -0700, Jeff Strickland rearranged some electrons to form:

If Autozone and/or Advanced Auto don't want to scan your OBD-I vehicle, then you can do it yourself:

David M

They don't do OBDI any more. Too many interfaces.

Reply to
gw

They both still do here where I live, as of yesterday.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

No, I'm in Calif. But, we have Autozone here. The problem with your plan is that my '95 is OBD I, and Autozone has the scan tol for OBD II.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Really!. I'll have to double check my store. I thought they only did OBD II ...

Allow me to ask a Stupid Question. Where is the interface on my truck for the OBD I Scan Tool?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Informative, but lacking clarity. My '95 Bronco has the 5.8L, but your link is for the '85 ~ '88 2.9L Villager minivan. Are the codes the same for these dramatically different platforms?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

">

Underhood, near driver-side hood spring / hinge assembly.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Sorry man, I had you confused with another Jeff, anyway, they will scan 'em all the way back to the beginning of EFI, here.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I stand corrected, then. I know when I was in NJ, it was OBDII only. It was even on the signs in the window - 1996 and newer. Must be because the people in your area actually give a crap. When I went in with my Ranger (OBDII), there were no other customers in the store. The guy I asked to scan it for me looked at me like I'd asked him for a kidney. Rolled his eyes, gave a huge theatrical sigh, dug the scanner out from under the counter, and trudged his way out to my truck. He didn't want to tell me what the code was, either. He just said he would turn off the MIL, because that's all people ever wanted.

I went somewhere else and bought a scanner.

Reply to
gw

"> I stand corrected, then. I know when I was in NJ, it was OBDII only. It was

Wow, that's quite a "customer service experience". The Advance store closest to me in Thomasville, NC, has a crew that's been around for a good while, and they really act like they want to help, whether they really care or not I don't know, but they make you feel pretty good about shopping there.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Out here on the ever-whacky Left Coast, the clerk is not allowed to use the scanner, they HAVE to give it to the customer so the customer can use it himself, or herself as the case may be. It seems the mechanic's lobby said that Autozone stores were taking food from mouths of babies by performing this service for free when the mechanics charge a yacht payment to do it. The mechanics could not prevent customers from figuring out what was wrong with the car, but the customer could not get any tips from the guy behind the counter ...

PS I bought an OBD I scan tool for my Ford for $35. The trouble is "Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor detects lean, bank 1."

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

The light has to do with the Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (HEGO, or O2) sensor. The sensor is reporting a lean condition.

I drove from San Diego to Lake Havasu, and the light was on at the start of the trip, but went out after a few miles. It flickered on a time or two while I was in AZ, but went out again. It was on at the start of the trip home, but again went out after a few miles/minutes and never came on again.

There are three or four different O2 sensors, the variance among them being the length of the pigtail. I'll have to pull the sesnor I have to match the correct one with the right leads ...

Thanks,

PS Autozone sells a pretty decent OBD I Scan Tool for $35.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Could've had residue from tons of short trips, then burned itself clean on your trip.

Hows the fuel mileage?

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

About 12 in town, and 15 or so on the highway, doing 70 to 80.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My '95 XLT (the current Bronco is an Eddie Bauer) delivered the same in-town mileage, and my brother's XL with the 5.0L motor also delivers similar numbers.

I have no -- or very little -- reason to believe that too much gas is being used, and the sensor reports that there isn't enough gas.

I'll be getting a new O2 Sensor and installing it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's about the same mileage I experienced with my Broncos, I've had 5 of them to date.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Installed a new sensor, and all is well. No more codes.

It was the sensor on the right side bank, if anybody cares.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland