95 explorer transmission problem

i have a 95 explorer,when i start it and put it in drive sometimes it will not engage,acting like its in nuetral. other times it will go 10 or 20 feet and then ,what seems like its in nuetral again. its not slipping,just seems like it comes out of gear. some times i do a break rev for a minute and it seems to help. when its in drive and wont engage and i rev it up it will then bang into gear.

also i have to add tranny fluid every week,and its not leaking anywhere

hope someone can help

Reply to
apdicenzo

Don't know if the 95 would have one or not, but it sounds like a bad modulator valve. It's vacuum controlled, and when the diaphragm goes, it sucks fluid into the intake manifold and gets burned with the gas. On the older cars, it was near the tailpiece, and has a vacuum line that runs up to the engine. SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

a 95 should have the 4R55E, but an early 95 might still have the A4LD, in which case your disappearing fluid is probably going thru the engine via a bad modulator

it's abut 2/3 of the way back on the passengers side of the unit, behind a heat shield

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Reply to
apdicenzo

like I said.it SHOULD have the 4R55E.............

if the 'build date' is very early 95 or late 94, I'd take a look underneath

Reply to
TranSurgeon