95 f150 xlt 4X4 intermittant electrical trouble

I have this 95 f150. Last summer(6 months ago) the truck started cutting out(engine quits) intemittantly. I eventualy figured out that it was only when the headlights were on and I made a hard right turn after the engine had warmed up. If only the parking lights were on I had no problems. A local mechanic suggested that the aftermarket alarm could do this. Sometimes the alarm would go off for no reason, so I removed the alarm. Problem seemed to go away.

The problem has returned with a vengence as in it cuts out very frequently. After the truck has warmed up it will start cutting out intermittantly when the headlights are on at any given time. Sometimes when just sitting and idleing and some times when moving. when the engine does cut out I simply push in the light switch to the parking light position and the engine usually comes back to life. I have noticed that when the engine cuts out the normal dash lights come on like when the engine dies, but also the right turn signal lamp comes on(steady not flashing) very dimly. If at night I have noticed a refection on the right side of the truck as if the outside right turn signal lamp has come on(again steady not blinking).

Friends have suggested light switch, ignition switch, signal switch in steering column and computer in engine compartment.

What would you guys suggest?

tia

Reply to
Marvin Oliver

I'd check the coil wiring. Inspect the terminations. I had a similar problem, in that it would cut-out for no rhyme/reason and usually in some very bad places(Interstate, turning across an intersection, heavy traffic etc.) This went on for some time with no solution. Finally one day I decided I WAS gonna find the problem! I pulled the wiring off the coil and saw a termination lug had been mashed when the harness was made at the harness factory. About only 4 strands of wire were actually feeding through the lug! I installed new terminals.....problem solved forever!

If that isn't your problem, I'd have to go with a computer problem, bad grounds, or loose connections.

Hope this helps some.....

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

In my 91A Miata, the same problem was a bad ground wire. Check the earth strap from the motor to the body or chassis. Not sure of the major ground points on an F150 yet. Good luck! These electrical gremlins can sometimes take a while to track down.

Reply to
Mike