96 ranger balljoints

I have a 1996 ranger 2 wheel drive. just got new tires on it all around. However, the fronts are cutting really bad on the inside [both of them]. Alignment is good, but i took it to an alignment shop for a second opinion. They're telling me the left ball joints are shot. I looked at it and the bottom looks easy to change by the top appears difficult. Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions, are guidelines as to the best way to go about changing this.? What tools may i need. any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
LostInEwing

Only one ball joint is load bearing, the other one is for stability only. You just have to replace the load bearing ball joint (one on each side).

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Glad you dont work on my vehicles. If the non load bearing has excessive play it will cause the alignment to to shift all over the place and will cause tire wear. Non load bearing joints are also subject to total failure ie coming apart, just not as common an occurance as the load bearing ones.. If its bad change it.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I understand that the non-load ball joints can wear out, but usually not at the same rate as the load bearing joints. If the vehicle is a '96 as is stated, and the lower joints are worn out, then the upper joints are reasonably good until the next set of lower joints. (where Lower Joint assume the lower joint is the load bearing one -- if the upper is the load bearing joint, then the same holds true, but upper and lower get flipped in the discussion).

If a guy is replacing a ball joint at home, then he can typically plan on replacing the load bearing joint, and only replace the non-load bearing joint if needed. "If Needed" is determined by inspection.

The non load bearing ball joint is akin to the rear brakes on a car. when the front brakes are replaced, the rear brakes are checked. Normally the rear brakes last twice as long as the front brakes. Therefore, just because the front brakes require attention, the rear brakes may be fine. Just because the load bearing ball joints need attention, the non load bearing ball joints may be fine.

Sorry if you thought I said that the non load bearing ball joints could be ignored at all times. Clearly this is not an accurate statement, and if I said anything that sounded like that, I was in error.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank You guys, One more thing, do i need some sort of special ball joint removing tool? And If so, do you have any tips on how to properly use it. Rent or Buy? Thank you, once more

Reply to
LostInEwing