96 Ranger Engine Noise

I have a 96 Ranger with ~150k miles. I know that one of the cyclinders is losing pressure, but I don't think that really explains the sound. When I am moving over 30 mph and give it more than half throttle in any gear(has the Mazda 5 speed), it starts making a sound like a turbo spinning up. I know for a fact that there isn't a turbo in it, and I'm sure it isn't the gearbox or clutch. When I am moving slowly or stopped, the sound disappears. Any ideas?

Reply to
Sleeping143

Plugged catalytic converter?

nate

Reply to
N8N

I know the catalytic converter is starting to go, but I found the problem. I noticed the engine noise is getting louder and rougher, so I checked the exhaust system. Exhaust hole. I got some tape to patch it up, hopefully I won't get pulled over, since I won't be able to put it on for two days(work).

Reply to
Sleeping143