97 F-150 5.4L Spark plugs, Coil Packs Changing Question

Hi. I've got a '97 F150 w/5.4L Triton in it. I'm having problems with cyl #3 & 4 and failing spark plus & coil packs. I had the dealership fix this the first 2 times it happened, but they nailed me for $200 each time. I suspected it was due to a leaky clamp issue mentioned in Ford TSB's and insisted they pay to fix it this time around, but they won't budge. So now it has been 10K miles I've been driving with this condition, and I have to do something about it.

I bought the Chilton manual for this vehicle and they make a spark plug change look pretty easy and routine. But the Ford guy told me previously that part of the $200 repair expense had been because they had to remove the fuel rails to do the job. A call to my favorite independent mechanic resulted in a quote of $350 to do a tune-up on this thing, which seems to validate what Ford said about the process.

What the scoop? Can one do a simple spark plug change (+ coil packs on 3 &

4) without special tools and without removing the fuel rails? Is there anything special I need to know before launching into this?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
jazzman

I've been afraid to do this yet on my '98 F150 5.4L...but I've talk to a few of my friends that I sell parts to, and they've all agreed that you have to remove the fuel rail to get to the coils and plugs...

Later... Grant Speed Kills...Drive a Honda, live forever...

Reply to
Forcefan83

Thank you Ford for buiding an engine that is impossible to work on. I guess if you wait long enough the plugs and coils will blow out of the head anyway.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

yeah...I've heard that too...

Later... Grant Speed Kills...Drive a Honda, live forever...

Reply to
Forcefan83

Reply to
Chuck

I changed the plugs and wires on my 98 4.6 never had to remove nothing took

Reply to
Rob

That's great, but a 4.6 is totally different than the 5.4. The 5.4 has one coil per cylinder, while the 4.6 has a coil pack. The 5.4 has no plug wires.

And yes...it's not too big of a deal removing the fuel rail...just a little intimidating for someone who's never done it before.

Later... Grant Speed Kills...Drive a Honda, live forever...

Reply to
Forcefan83

Many thanks to all who responded. Any online references for doing the fuel rail remove/install? I imagine it would be pretty easy to mess up the injectors if one did not know what they were doing (never done one myself).

I'm heading to AltaVista right now....

Thanks again.

Jim

Reply to
jazzman

Reply to
Dennis

goto

and do a search in theforums under the 4.6 5.4 engine. They had an article inthere on how to change the plugs without removing thefuel rail and with removing them. Tim

Reply to
Tim G

Thanks Tim G! Found the post you referred to. Here's a link for anyone else who might benefit:

Regards,

jim

Reply to
jazzman