'97 F-150 Turn Signal Problem

Hello All,

I'm having an intermittent problem with my right turn signal. Sometimes it flashes fine, sometimes it flashes fast but only the rear light works. Usually, if I hold the signal switch like I'm simply passing someone it works fine but if I flick it all the way up it may flash fast with only the rear light working or it may work just fine.

I'm not sure if this is simply a light bulb going bad or if there's a short in my signal switch. Any thoughts on this one? I'm simply trying to get an idea of what the problem could be before I take it to the shop.

Thanks!

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

Light bulbs are cheap and fairly easy to replace. I would certainly try that before I took it to the shop. Sounds like it may be a light bulb or a bad connection. Maybe reseating the bulb would help. Do you have any other lights that blink with the signal?

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Nope, just the signals, well and the dash indicators. They are fine. My concern is that it's a short in the turn signal lever which is a money job to fix. Not what I can afford right now.

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

it is probably a bad switch because the light often works and they do not get intermittant, just quit. Also you said holding the switch on helps, indicating a bad contact.

old john

Reply to
ajeeperman

It looks to me like the right rear signal is on one contact and the front signal and turn indicator light are on the other.

Does the inside turn indicator act like the front turn signal? What happens with the Hazard flashers, do they all flash? Does it make a difference whether the lights are on or off?

You may just have a corroded or dirty connection or the bulb isn't seated well. The bulb may have a broken filament that is making partial contact.

I remember once I had dim headlights, and of course it was because the ground wire had worked loose from the connection.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Yes, the indicator light works like the front turn signal. The 4-way flashers work just fine. It only seems to be an issue with the right, front turn signal. Doesn't matter if the headlights are on or off. And there seems to be no pattern to whether they work or not.

I'm going to check the front turn signal tomorrow and see if that resolves the problem.

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

Well, it looks to me that your answers, according to the schematic, would lead to a bad switch. I say that because both the lights on the one contact are acting up. The Hazard flashers bypass that contact and seem to be working alright. I don't know if spraying contact cleaner would help.

Hopefully you will find something else when you check the light.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

OK, next question: is this something I can do myself or should I trust it to the dealer?

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

There is no way we can answer that question since we don't know you. If you are a fairly good shadetree mechanic, you should be able to do it. It requires basically dismantling the steering column.

I changed one in an older truck so I suppose if you have the tools and the time you could do it. Get a service manual ($15) and check out what you would need to do.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Aw, c'mon. I thought everybody knew me! ;o) Just kiddin of course.

My shade tree mechanic days only seem to involve lawn mowers these days but I can turn a wrench when needed. I'm just wondering if it's worth my time to do it myself or just go ahead and pay someone to do it.

Thanks for the advice though.

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

Just an update:

I replaced the multi-switch (turn signal switch) yesterday. It took my father-in-law and I about 45 minutes to do. Tools required: a Philips screwdriver and a driver with a "star" bit. Sorry, but I don't know exactly what the bit type is called.

Anyway, I removed the 3 screws from the bottom of the steering column to loosen the plastic covering. We also had to remove the ignition switch in order to remove the top cover.

The star bit was used to remove the two screws that attached the multi-switch to the steering column. It took a bit of doing to get the wiring clips removed as it took two people to remove it: one to lift the lock clips and one to actually pull the wiring out.

Also, in terms of putting the plastic covers back on I found that you have to install the screws on the right side if the column first in order for everything to line up properly.

That's it. Everything's working just fine. Thanks for all the advice!

Troy

Reply to
T.D. Hilton

"Torx" is the correct name that you are looking for.

Reply to
GW Bush