97 F150: Cost of replacing the engine

I got the bad news: My mechanic says I may have to replace the engine. He gave me an approximate cost. But he was hinting that I should get rid of it.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area. Any other folks had an engine (6 cylinder, I think 4.6) replaced on a F150 recently? How much did it cost? For a truck that is 9 years old, do you think it is worth investing more money?

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Is the vehicle paid for? No other major problems? 9yrs isn't all that old and 'Paid For' is a very good thing. The engine can be rebuilt or a 'long block' can be installed. Here a 4.2 V6 LB is $1300 to $2300.. Might be more expensive in Calif. You then add the cost of the remove/install if you have someone do it for you. Replacing the whole truck would be more costly, but it depends on what you want.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

It is kind of expensive here. First off, I have to have all the work done by my mechanic. His shop rate is arounf $95/hour. Markups for engines are also higher probably.

Ballpark numbers my mechanic says $4500 for a rebuilt engine. The truck's bluebook price is not even that.

I will get a second opinion but I may just sell it and get a new vehicle.

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

Call the dealer and get a price, you may be very surprised.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I did call the dealer finally:

Just for a head replacement they want around $2200. I did not ask what it would be for an engine...

Deguza

Reply to
Kompu Kid

On Apr 24, 11:35 pm, Kompu Kid wrote: ...

See what your mechanic would charge to throw in a salvage yard motor. What exactly is wrong with the motor that requires it to be replaced?

Reply to
Mike H