97 F150 -- Static on AM Radio

I get static on the AM radio ONLY when the Temp Control is set to full Min or full Max, or when the headlamps are on. If I set the temp control off of the physical limits of the dial, or set the headlamps off (this is a bit disconcerting to my passengers and some of the oncoming traffic) the static stops.

Is there a TSB on this issue?

My truck has factory everything. It is straight stock as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Could be an alternator issue. engine off disconnect the plug from the alternator and inspect it carefull for discoloration, signs of burnt wires etc, ford has had issue with this area. all auto parts stores sell replacment pig tails complete with shrink tubing. Pigtail HAS to be soldered, crimping wont cut it. ford says EVERY time alt replaced, pig tail replaced, thats why most replacement alternators include the pig tail as well.

Ok with the alt disconnected start engine and see if noise still present.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:02:37 +0000, Whitelightning rearranged some electrons to say:

If the static rises and falls in pitch with the engine RPM, that's what I would suspect too. It may be a rectifier diode going bad.

Reply to
david