97 Mazda B4000 transmission shifting problem

97 Mazda B4000 5-speed, 4WD.

I bought this truck used a year or so ago. Purchased the extended warranty with it.

After a couple of months I noticed that after driving the truck for

25-30 miles the transmission was almost impossible to shift into 1st or 2nd -- upshift or downshift -- there were times I had to shove on the stick so hard I was afraid I was going to break the gearshift stick. Double-clutching would help sometimes.

Took it to the dealer. They replaced: transmission, master and slave cylinders, throwout bearing, clutch disk.

Now, it's doing the same thing but only in 2nd gear and not so bad as before. Drive 25-30 miles and it is very difficult to shift into 2nd gear -- upshift and downshift -- double-clutching makes it shift fairly smoothly. Also, it seems that the longer I drive it, the more difficult it becomes -- I drove 60 miles last week and it was very difficult to get into 2nd, even with double-clutching.

All other shifting is smooth, including into first.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names
1; did they replace the pressure plate ? 2; possibly they didn't bleed the slave cylinder properly.
Reply to
Mark Schofield

I'd say it's strongly likely that the clutch is not completely disengaging, and the problem lies in the hydraulic clutch system.

Let me warn you that the clutch forks in that tranny are ALUMINUM and will not take the forcing you're giving them. You'll break them shortly if you don't get this problem fixed.

Reply to
CJB

A bad pilot bearing will do this. If the pilot bearing is bad, the input shaft will continue to turn even though the clutch is depressed. Try shutting the engine off and then shifting into gear to see if it makes it easier. If it does, it's probably the pilot bearing.

Mark

Reply to
Nemisis

There is also the possiblity that the synchronizer for second gear is bad due to the problem that you were having before.. Problem is, you cant tell that unless you disassemble the transmission and measure the clearance.

Ford Tech

Reply to
Ford Tech