97 ranger/b2300 stallas after start

I have a 1997 Mazda B-2300 (ranger) and it started running poorly on the way to the store. I would die at stoplights and I had to keep the engine revved in order to get home. It was also running very roughly (stuttering) at normal cruising speed (20-30 mhp.) The next day I tried driving it again and it was fine for one trip, then wouldn't start on the second outing. The next day it ran Ok, so I drove it to a mechanic and he checked it out, hooked it up to the computer and found no problems other than an aging serpentine belt 9which he replaced.) The next day it started stuttering on the way home, and the check engine light came on. It now starts-up quickly, then as soon as the RPM drops to idle, the engine coughs and dies. I can keep the engine running (barely) if I keep my foot on the gas @ 2500 RPM.

I replaced the fuel pump just in case, but would like to know where I should look next. The truck has a mechanically sound past with no prior problems. It has 80K miles, a manual transmission and has been serviced regularly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Travis

Reply to
traviswr

Sounds ignition related - you check all the basics? Distributor cap (water corroded contacts etc), bad spark plug wire, bad spark plug ? Could be anything. The internittantness of it sounds suspicious. Vacuum related? cracked something-er-other opening up a big vacuum leak somewhere ? The only time I've seen come-and-go shuttering like that was two times: one had a burnt spark plug wire (plainly visable in a very very dark driveway), and the other with a sticking valve (on a poorly rebuilt head where valve clearance was too tight). Coil? These kinds of things are a real bitch to troubleshoot, expecially if they don't trigger an event in the computer. Towards the end, you say that the MIL (Maintenance Indicator Light, aka check engine) light came on, so did you go check to see what code you received ?

Reply to
Mr Wizzard

As long as we're guessing, I'd be apt to believe it's related to fuel delivery, more specifically, a failing injector. This engine has 2 plugs per cylinder. If it's running that badly, I'd be apt to believe that fuel wasn't being delivered. If even one of the two plugs were firing, it wouldn't be so bad I don't think.

That's a guess, mind you. Take it with a grain of salt.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Make sure the fuel tank is getting pressurized. My 98 ranger has an audible tank expanding noise when key is turned on. your prob could be as simple as a bad gas cap or other air leak in the fuel system . I believe there is an electrical air pump in the system.

my first thought.

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Of course you will post the cause of your problem resolution when completed !

Henry

Reply to
Henry

i will post the answer when I find it =)

I replaced the idle control valve, and had no change. I replaced all the vaccum and cleaned/reseated the elec. connectors. UPDATE: the truck will start, and if I keep it revved @ 2000 rpm for about 30 sec, the idle smooths, and I can remove the gas and it sounds perfect. If I let it idel for 5-10 mins it will slowlly drop to 1000, 500RPM,.....then dies. I have to adjust the throttle body to keep it from dying, it runs another 5 mins then same drop in RPMS. If I drive after the engine smooths, the truck runs flawlessly, but when I turn off then resart, it all starts again...

I'll update asap.

Reply to
traviswr