97 Ranger Ext Cab Tranny "Clunk"

I have a 97 ranger ext cab XLT automatic with O/D. When I accelerate from

1st to 2nd, there is a slight hesitation followed by a loud "Clunk" that practically gives me whiplash. Same thing on deceleration. Other gears is fine, so at highway speeds, it's good, traffic jams it's friggin' painful. I've taken it to a transmission shop 3 times and they've changed 2 switches and the "brain" but it hasn't gotten better. It seems to be OK first thing in the morning, worse as it warms up. Any ideas?

Is there a temp sensor in the trans? I had the same problem with a Maxima. It was a bad temp sensor telling the "brain" that it was always cold which made it shift very hard when warm.

Reply to
JimV