97 Ranger Headlights Won't Shut Off!!!!!!!!!

I have a 97 Ford Ranger Ext cab, and when I got home tonight, my headlights won't turn off! The ignition is off, manual light switch is off, but no matter how long I wait, the headlights stay on. I can pull the lever back to put the high beams on, but pushing it forward to lock the high beams on does nothing. I have to disconnect the battery to shut them off. If I connect the battery again, they go back on immediately, even with no key in the ignition and the manual light switch off. Any Ideas?

Bad switch?

Reply to
Advocate

Um, thanks, but I'm guessing there's more than one switch involved, since there is a DRL switch, Hi Beam switch, On/Off switch. Anybody with more specific suggestions? Anybody experienced this before?

You have DRL's? That wasn't standard in 1997 in the US was it? If you have an aftermarket DRL system, that's a whole different animal.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

Sorry, I'm in Canada. It was standard.

Rowbotth

Canadian vehicles have a DLR switch??

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Yeah.

What do you think turns on the lights when you start the motor - and when you shut it off? (And it used to shut the lights off when you had the emergency brake on, but I think the logic is a little different now.)

H.

Reply to
Rowbotth

Ok, I was visualizing a knob on the dash to turn the DRL's off. On my truck, with ALC and DRL, the ignition switch turns the lights on through a light sensor and relays. On my '99 you can turn off the DRL's with the park brake but that would be yet another switch. When the ignition is off, there is no power to the DRL's, but there is still power to the headlight switch. Counting the relays, there are at least 6 switches that could be involved. Which are you suggesting that he change?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy