98 Expedition - Tire Cupping and Blower speed

I haven't had any major problems with my EXP aside from a tie rod end dropping off and winding up in a ditch.

The minor problems I have is

1) The tires never last more than 12-18 months. By then they are cupped and will cause a bit of noise and vibration. They look great, lots of tread but still , in the garbage.

2) My 4 position (speed) heater fan switch has reduced itself to 2 (on and full) I have read old posts here and am lead to believe it may be a resistor. Would anybody know where this might be located?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Reply to
AF

Front or rear tires cupping? Alighnment checked by a repetalble shop? Shocks OK? What brand of tires? The resistor is useally screwed into the heater ducting in the cab under the glove box. Look for a plug with 4-5 wires in the box. Un-plug it and remoce a few screws and there it is. Steve

Reply to
Steve

Goodyear wranglers

On the front

Had the alignment done every time I put tires on it.

Thanks for the resistor local. I'll bet that's my problem

Reply to
AF

My Ranger XLT was getting cupped tires on the front when it was brand new. After 3000 miles the cupping was obvious. I took it back to the dealer, and he said it was normal wear. I bunged it up one management level, and started making noise. They said, very patronizingly, that they would "have a look at it". Ford dealer found that factory setting for toe-in, or some other measure, was way off. They had to move, then reweld some kind of strut, to fix it, as there was no screw adjustment on there. Anyway, from that time on, tire wear is normal.

Reply to
Roger

: > > I haven't had any major problems with my EXP aside from a tie rod end : > > dropping off and winding up in a ditch. : > >

: > > The minor problems I have is : > >

: > > 1) The tires never last more than 12-18 months. By then they are cupped : > and : > > will cause a bit of noise and vibration. They look great, lots of tread : > but : > > still , in the garbage. : > >

I've had cupping issues with front tires three times now, starting after a new truck had some 5000 miles under it- and it has always turned out to be the Ford factory shocks.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward

Found and replaced the resistor - works great, Thanks Steve

Never thought the cupping could be from the shocks. I've known a few expeditions with the same problem.

How did the shocks differ from stock? Stiffer maybe? How would I find out which ones to use on my truck?

Reply to
AF

This vehicle has the solid front axle:

Most likely a Dana 50 or 60. The Expedition, F250 through 450 Super Duties with the solid axles had a problem with ball joints wearing prematurely. As soon as 3,500 miles.

They are difficult to test, because only the upper gets extremely loose, and the lower gets somewhat loose. You need a "Competent" Alignment shop to check the ball joints, by lifting the vehicle and putting a bar under the tire and rocking it up and down, while someone watches the freeplay on the joints. You will also find the tie rods are most likely a bit loose.

Ford made them un-greaseable, and didn't seal them too well. But, good news. The aftermarket brands and the Motorcraft brand are.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Like the King sez - take it to a competent front-end shop and they orta know what's needed to make your critter behave.

Dave

Reply to
David Ward