98 F150XL Transmission? Problem

My transmission is not totally engaging in drive.

When it does this, the transmission makes a whining sound like it is not totally engaging.

If I drive it like this it it appears to be slipping or not in first gear.

If I put it in reverse and then back into drive it will engage and work normally .

Any one know what the problem here could be?

Reply to
Rob