98 Ranger Airbag Fault

I have a 98 Ranger 4 cyc / 2.3L. A few seconds after starting the engine the airbag light flashes four times, pauses, then flashes four more times. It continues to do this for a couple of minutes, then the light stays on for the duration of the trip. Does anyone know what fault code this is, and what component in the airbag system might be affected?

Cal.

Reply to
Cal

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 06:50:23 +0000, Cal rearranged some electrons to form:

It is fault code 44, which appears to be "RH Crash Sensor". Don't try to work on it yourself.

Reply to
David M

Thanks David. Is this a dealer issue, or do you think my local full-service Goodyear shop will be able to handle it?

Reply to
Cal

Actually, I did a little more research and found that this means RH Crash Sensor not mounted properly, so I am going to take a look to see if it is just a corroded ground wire. The trouble is that I don't know exactly where the sensor is, so do you have any idea? Don't worry, if it not as simple as that I am not going to mess with it. However, this wouldn't be the first time that I've had problems with the electrical system due to corrosion and age. It sits outside, and I don't drive it very much. It's a '98 with only

62K on the clock!

Thanks again for your help David.

Reply to
Cal

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:37:57 +0000, Cal rearranged some electrons to form:

Hmmm... factory-trained dealer technicians or part-time Badyear kids working on something that, if it malfunctions, can cost you your life...

Decisions, decisions....

Reply to
David M