'99 250 rear end

Hi,

My '99 F250 Super Cab 5.4 2WD (not SD) has a problem with the 3.73 limited slip rear end; the clutches are seized, resulting in wheel hop noise on tight turns, probably chewing up the tires prematurely too.

My mechanic got them freed up but when warm or towing my fifth wheel trailer it returns with a vengeance.

I can't find an exact replacement, even searching the whole province (Ontario, Canada) and was quoted $1800.00 and two week turn around on a rebuild.

Because the main, almost only, purpose of this truck is towing the 5'er I wouldn't mind getting a 4.10 rear end, but don't think the 250 came with one, would one from a SD fit?

Any other ideas welcomed, short of getting that F350 King Ranch PSD Dually I've got my eye on <G>.

TIA,

Tim Barr

Reply to
Tim Barr

You simply get a ring and pinion and new LSD unit based on the rear axle you have, not tha year truck it is because the axle type is what matters here. You either have a Sterling 10.25 or a D70. A 4.30 was a ratio availble in ford rear axles in 250 and 350 trucks and is a great towing gear and you should consider that instead of a 4.10. Also stay away from a dealer for these axle parts unless you want to get skinned on price. Below is a link to a GM axle ID pics (sorry about that but it has a D70 on it and I have not put one together for Ford yet) that may help you ID your rear axle.

SnoMan

SnoMan