99 F150 P0303 Code...

Hi all -

Apparently my wife has been driving the truck ('99 F150 4.6L, 115K) with engine codes and the thing hesitating without telling me. I got in this past weekend and I can't hardly touch the pedal to get it up to speed without is missing and sputtering under ANY load. I limped down to AutoZone to get the code(s) read. Got three codes: 1st was a P0303, the others were a lean fuel mix and the an 02 sensor after the cat (I'm at work and forgot the exact codes for the other two at home, but I remember what they were about) The replaced the plugs about 6K ago and the wires about 10K ago. Used all motorcraft plugs and wires. My guess was that one of the coil packs was going so I replaced the passenger side coil pack last night but it didn't fix the problem. Is the coil pack for the #3 cyl on the passenger or driver side? If it is the passenger side, does anyone have any other ideas for me to move onto? It's running really bad. I have no idea how long it's been running like this. She thought it was just bad gas...

Thanks,

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

wrote in message news:47dfa479$0$1345$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.greatnowhere.com...

OK - Think I got it..When I replaced the coil pack, the truck was a little better, but still hesitating/mis-firing badly. Since the code was a 303, I pulled the #3 plug to see if it was perhaps fouled up from driving that long with the bad coil pack and misfire. First, when I went to pull the wire off, it didn't feel like it was on right. Then, when I went to pull the plug, I thought I wasn't getting the spark plug socket fully on the plug right because it turned too easy. Turns out it was, and that the plug was not completely tight! Then pulled the #1 (because it's easy and right there) to compare the plugs. The #3 had a light brown (almost rusty color) on it, but otherwise looked OK. Inspected the #3 boot to see if there was any blackening, but it looked brand new still. The #1 Plug looked like it should for a slightly used plug - Dark from firing, but not oily. Lightly cleaned both plugs with wire brush, but swapped the plugs when reinstalling them. I torqued them both down and put the wires back on making sure they were fully on. Truck runs great again after test drive.. I know nobody replied, but maybe if someone googles with the same issue, they may find this answer to a poster's own question and check to make sure to check the obvious first before thinking the worst. I'm humbled and learned a lesson.I guess it's possible I could have gotten distracted or something and didn't torque the plug or fully seat the boot correctly when I changed the wires or plug a while back. Just because you do the work yourself doesn't mean your perfect and can't make a stupid mistake... :)

IYM

Reply to
<IYM>

reinstalling

GUT! Shouldn't wire brush sparkplugs. Why? It leaves metal embedded in the porceline(sp?) ,creating conditions for a short and misfire. Worse(or better?) than a little carbon.

wws

Reply to
wstiefer