99 F250 Tranny prob?

Hi All, Newbie here so please be kind.

My truck has the 5.4L with automatic, and it has abt 60,000 miles on it.

I tow a 26 foot fifth wheel and lately I've noticed a slight shudder on upshifts only while towing and only if it's level or slightly uphill, it lasts a second or so.

Is there anything preventative I could do? Is this serious?

Reply to
timber

What's the service history on the trany? I have mine done every 25K miles. As as side note, that sounds like a small engine for that size of a

5er (I have the V10 and a 24 ft 5er)
Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

What you feel has a good chance at being torque converter shudder. The shudder usually starts when the fluid is degraded. It is important to use the best quality fluid you can find especially where the trans is "worked". The cure is usually a complete service including draining the torque converter. If you have had it serviced where they only dropped the pan and did not drain the converter, that was not good enough. You only changed half the fluid. I am not a fan of "flushing" these units unless the fluid is known to have been contaminated. It may help to use an additive made by LubeGard to help with the shudder and help the trans operate more smoothly. The capacity of your trans would require 2 bottles.

Good luck Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

Not sure about the history, I just bought it. You can tell it's there when towing and if I could have found a truck with the bigger motor or a diesel that I could afford I would have got that. I only plan to do a short hop regularly, with one longer trip a year. Thanks for your input.

Reply to
timber

Thanks for the advice, I'll get a complete service and add Lubegard if I can find it at a local retailer, I don't see one listed for Canada on their site.

Tim.

Reply to
timber

I'm not a transmission guy, but just my .02c is that most people automatically change the fluid and filter when they sense a problem with the transmission. A lot of times the problem gets worse. Just ask people with early to mid '90s Dodge Intrepids. There is nothing, to my knowledge, in a bottle or a can that can replace worn out or damaged engine and transmission components simply by pouring it in.

My '99 F350 started the same thing yours is doing, and I stupidly ignored it for about 3 months. Mine even started "growling" when shifting up. By the time I got it checked out, it the overdrive had gone out, and my only choice was to replace the transmission. I did upgrade to a better torque converter at the same time, and now I tow with the O/D turned off.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You are quite correct that nothing can repair a worn out or damaged component short of a rebuild. The fact is that the torque converter clutch becomes a bit glazed making it harder for it to engage and fully lock. This additional slippage time is when the shudder occurs and wear is accelerated making the problem worse every time it locks. The fresh fluid enhances the ability of the clutches to fully lock. The LubeGard product further enhances this ability while improving the lubricating characteristics of the fluid for the mechanical components. Most of the shops in my part of the world add it as part of an overhaul to reduce comebacks. I have used it in my personal vehicles for several years now and find that it is one of the damn few additives that do exactly what they claim in most cases.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

I'm an advocate of such things as a preventative, or for performance enhancer, but in my case, the damage was already done.

Later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Tim;

E-mail me if you need LubeGuard

TranSurgeon

I don't see one listed for Canada on their site. Tim;

Age is really getting to me, I checked again, NAPA stores carry it and there's a one in my town (pop. 4,000)! I gotta start double checking things, old-fartism is setting in real bad , but thanks for the offer.

Reply to
timber