99 Ranger 3.0 L Spark Knock

I get a spark knock, not octane ping, when under average to moderate acceleration, seems to be more when I am ascending an incline and just add a touch more throttle to keep speed steady. It only does it on 75° days or warmer, and only after computer enters closed loop operation. On hot days 90° and warmer it is the worst.(sounds like somebody is shaking a bag ful of steel bee-bee's) Never does it in the winter. So start up and open loop mode I have no problems. I have tried all different grades of gasoline, but to no avail. I have added the lucas upper cylinder and fuel treatment, that has helped a bit, but only sometimes. It has the stock motorcraft double platinum plugson new plugs, still did the same with older ones. I have tried the K&N airfilter and regular filters still acts the same. It has

69,000 miles on it. I change the oil ever 4,000-5,000 miles have taken it to a Ford dealership only to have the guy say, well we can change alot of parts and it still might not fix it. Stupid grease monkey!!! So before slapin down bookoo cash for a new EIC,(Electronic ignition control), does anybody have any other ideas? BTW this spark knock started at 17,000 miles, I have been tracking it down for a time over the summers.

2nd set of stock plugs, 20,000 miles on them Autocrap(zone) aftermarket wires ( did it even with the OEM motorcraft ) Replaced EGR Pressure feedback sensor, got a code P0401 Cleaned associated tubing and orifaces. Stock EGR Vac Sol and EGR vlv both work fine all sensors running within tolerance nothing close to out of range new fuel filter fuel pressure tested to within specs even flow BR4 injector flow test check fine no degredation of engine performance, still avg same MPG as when new. and no, I am not going to put scAmsoil in it.

Somebody help a brudder out, Im stumped. Has anybody else had this problem? I dont really want to slap down the cash for a EIC if I can get some more ideas to check first

Reply to
Jabird

Sounds like Timing to me, I had to replace pickup sensor in the dizzy of a '96 f150 5.0, didn't get it the timing quite right and it pinged with more than half throttle. It had always pinged at wot when hot, but after replacing it was much worse, I had tweak it in a little. Runs great now. If you have already had it to the dealer for that a few times, ask them to check the default timing, (with th computer bypassed) I don't know if you even have a dizzy, but good luck. If it's not that, the next most likely thing is gas, sounds kinda like the late 80's prob with fuel vapor on hot days. Maybe change out the fuel filter. That should be real cheap.

Reply to
rr